Frederic Louis Billon (1888)
Doct. Saugrain gives notice of the first vaccine matter brought to St. Louis. Indigent persons vaccinated gratuitously. May 26 1809
THE PHYSICIANS - of the territorial days of St. Louis.
In our Annals of the French days we have enumerated the half dozen physicians, who succeeded each other in the little village in that period, the last of whom, Doct. Saugrain, came here in the year 1800. He appears to have had no competition in the profession for several years.
Our first American physician of whom we find any record was Doct. Bernard G. Farrar, 1807.
Under Henry von Phul:
one of his sons, was born in Philadelphia, Aug't 14, 1784.
In the year 1800, his mother, a widow, removed to Lexington, Ky., with some of her children; Henry, then 16 years of age, became the clerk of Thomas Hunt, Jr., in whose service he remained for ten years. In 1811 he came to St. Louis and commenced business on his own account, in which he was actively engaged until within a few years of his death, a period of nearly 60 years.
Mr. von Phul was married to Miss Rosalie, daughter of DOCT. ANTOINE SAUGRAIN, on June 10, 1816. On June 10, 1866, the celebrated their golden wedding, 6 sons and 4 daughters participating.
June 10, 1874, celebrated their 58th wedding day.
Under James Kennerly:
was born at Fincastle, Botetourt County, Virginia, Aug. 5, 1792, son of Samuel Kennerly and Mary Hancock.
He came to St. Louis in October, 1813, in partnership with John O'Fallon in a cargo of Kentucky produce "Pickled Pork, Beef, Flour, &c."
Which having disposed of, he became Chief Clerk of Gov'r Clark, in the U.S. Indian Office.
He was next associated with Alexander McNair in a store for some time. In 1816 James Kennerly opened a store in Clark's new brick house on main Street in Block now No.10.
In 1817-18, James and Geo. H. Kennerly went into partnership in mercantile business in the same place.
In 1820 James Kennerly, having built a new brick building and residence, next north of their former stand, removed into it, where they carried on their business for some years, Mr. Kennerly residing with his family in the upper part of the house.
Towards the close of the year 1827, when the works at the new Military post of Jefferson Barracks were approaching completion, they were appointed the Sutlers for the Post, and removed there, where James Kennerly resided for over ten years, at the end of which time, having built a stone residence at Cote Brilliante, about five miles northwest of the City, he removed to it and died there August 26, 2840, at the age of 48 years and 3 weeks.
James Kennerly was married June 10, 1817, to Miss Eliza Maria, the second daughter of DOCT. ANTOINE SAUGRAIN, born in Lexington, Ky., Oct. 12, 1799.
Their three children are:
Mary Lerned K., born in 1820, widow of Wm. C. Taylor. Wm. Clark Kennerly, born in 1825, married Flornce Brooks, of Mobile Alabama. Harriet Clark K., born Aug 2, 1829, married to Ed. J. Glasgow, Oct. 29, 1856.